Wednesday, November 9, 2016

An open letter to my friends in the aftermath of the 2016 election

My friends,

I have mostly refrained from posting political statements, as I have not wanted to contribute to the noise. But I'm no longer able to hold my tongue.

I am sick in my soul. I feel as if I've drunk a brimming beaker of hemlock. I am certain that what happened last night will prove a national tragedy. In a great seizure of national delusion, the American people chose to send Donald J. Trump to the highest office in land -- a man who freely advocates violence; who insults the disabled, ethnic minorities, and prisoners of war; who openly brags about sexually assaulting women; who has publicly called for the assassination of his opponents; who has lauded America's enemies and invited their attack. This is a man who has never served the public; who has never held any public office; who has likely defrauded thousands; who has never shown any interest whatsoever in helping anyone other than himself; who has spent his entire professional life attempting to seize wealth and garner attention for himself while screwing pretty much everybody else.

This may be the worst decision America has made in its 240-year history, certainly the worst since Andrew Jackson was elected in 1828. It's no joke. Such a thing demeans us all.

Let's be clear, the US president is not a king (at least not yet), and thankfully the Constitution has "checks and balances" in place to restrict the power of such a man as this. And yet, if there's one thing we learned during the dark years of 2000-2008, it's that the executive branch is capable of inflicting tremendous harm on the country and the world. To what extent this raging egomaniac will be allowed to impose his cracker/crackpot ideas on the rest of us remains to be seen.

To my international friends, I apologize. I am embarrassed by my country and ashamed of my fellow citizens. I can't believe enough of them were duped into electing this reckless conman to the presidency. Apparently PT Barnum was right, it would seem a sucker would have to born every minute to reach such a critical mass of suckers. Please understand that I do not support this man, I did not vote for him. Everything he is, says, and does, is absolutely contrary to what I believe in and what I hope I stand for.

To my US friends I have this to say: This is not a football game. It's not about whose team wins. The problems which confront us as a nation are complex and massive. The solutions will not be simple and myriad perspectives will be required. We can disagree on matters of public policy and still respect each other. But I'm afraid I must tell you that if you voted for this man, I can no longer be a friend to you. I will continue to hold you in my heart but as far as I can tell you have hitched your cart to the negative forces which are destroying this country and the world.

To those who have actively and earnestly attempted to prevent what happened last night, thank you. Justice will not be given to us, we must take it. And we will. God help us all.

-PL

1 comment :

  1. Phil, I got a tear in my eye. Not a syllable is out of sync here. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete